Last month, as instructed, Kaizer Chiefs posted an apology for their fans’ behaviour as told to do so by the PSL.
As reported by The South African website, the Soweto giants were ordered to post an apology on their official website, which stems from an incident following the final whistle in the Glamour Boys’ DStv Premiership defeat to TS Galaxy when fans threw missiles at coach Molefi Ntseki.
There were also further incidents of “spectator misbehaviour” in matches vs SuperSport United (League) and Mamelodi Sundowns (MTN8).
Chiefs have now been fined, and could eventually face the prospect of a match having to be played behind closed doors.
PSL Prosecutor Zola Majavu issued the following information.
1. Some weeks ago, Chiefs were found guilty of the same offence and fined R100k, with R30k suspended on condition that they didn’t repeat the same offence within the next 12 months. They paid R70k and now they must pay R30k as well since the offence has been repeated.
2. In respect of matches vs SSU & Sundowns, they were fined R200k of which R50k is suspended for a period of six months. So R180k must be paid immediately + costs of the sitting.
3. The errant behaviour, if repeated, will lead to a one match behind closed doors.
🟡 Chiefs fans costing the club 💰— Mazola J. Molefe (@superjourno) October 2, 2023
– Amakhosi fined R200k with R50k suspended with conditions
– Must pay for the sitting
– Chiefs will face a LOCKOUT, which is a spectator ban should this happen again in the next 6️⃣ months
This is a final warning ⚠️
PREVIOUS KAIZER CHIEFS APOLOGY
Ms Mato Madlala
Acting Chief Executive Officer
Premier Soccer League
Dear Ms Madlala
LETTER OF APOLOGY FOR KAIZER CHIEFS ‘SUPPORTERS’ BEHAVIOUR AT KAIZER CHIEFS V TS GALAXY FC PSL FIXTURE ON 20 AUGUST 2023
Kaizer Chiefs hereby unreservedly apologizes to the PSL, all PSL member clubs, TS Galaxy FC and all of its peace loving supporters, for the behaviour of some of its supporters at the Club’s PSL fixture against TS Galaxy FC at Mbombela Stadium on 20 August 2023.
The Club condemns this poor and unacceptable behaviour in the strongest possible terms.
We have commenced a process of engaging with Kaizer Chiefs’ branches on supporter behaviour at football matches.
Kaizer Chiefs Football Club